Aug 13, 2006

end-of-the-week thankfulness

i flew into charm city yesterday.
back to the land of old bay seasoning
and the town where everyone calls you "hon".

i am home.

i am thankful for so much.
i have just spent the last three weeks roadtrippin'
across very beautiful parts of our country.

i am grateful for the adventurous
memories made on the drive
through appalachian country with my
sweet friend, shelley/thelma,
who now lives in houston.

i am fortunate to have visited with family
and, together, inhale yummy memphis barbecue,
crazygood texas tamales and local beer.

i am thankful to have filled my lungs
with the clean desert arizona air
and to have seen the saguaros of tucson.
i am grateful to have feasted on the best fish tacos and posole
i have ever had with
my dear friend, keno.

today, i attended the baptism of our
neighbor's triplets on this glorious morning.
i walked the whole way to the church
with my other neighbor, carol.
it was 75 degrees and breezy.

paul and i grooved out on the best
tomato sandwiches for dinner.
(hooray for summer tomatoes!)
ciabatta bread rubbed with garlic
and layered with yellow and red slices.

i will sleep in my own bed
next to my cutie-pahtootie
and our toe-biting cat.

tomorrow, i begin the last week of my thirties, ya'll.
seven days until i am the big four-oh.
(but that is a whole 'nother entry.)

peace out.

5 comments:

  1. If the last few months (that I've been reading you) are any indication, I'd say you rocked your 30's HARD. :) Forty's cool...all KINDS of good stuff can happen. I met my true love a couple of weeks after I turned 40...and by 45 we were living in the Caribbean, something I'd dreamed of since my late teens. I have no doubt that you'll spend your 40's doing stupendous things. Sounds like you had a great trip.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad you are back! Sounds like a fantastic trip and a beautiful homecoming.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like you had a fabulous time! Gosh- I can't wait to turn 40!(I still have 3 years...)
    You are great and I can't wait to read more about all that is going on and all that has happened this summer. Send me your address so I can send you a little b-day card!
    (kristine underscore mays at yahoo dot com)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mmmm...tomato sandwiches with your man. That sounds pretty all right. Glad you enjoyed TN (among other places).

    ReplyDelete